Freedom of Information (FoI) Requests
You have a legal right to access certain documents that SGW holds that contain personal information, under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1982 (the Act).
Under the Act some documents are exempt from release. Examples of documents that may not be accessed include:
- commercial in confidence documents
- some internal working documents
- law enforcement documents
- documents covered by legal professional privilege, such as legal advice
- personal information about other persons
- information provided to SGW in confidence.
How to make a request
Requests under the Freedom of Information Act 1982, describing the documents requested, must be made, in writing. Please make the request as clear as possible including the document type and timeframe you require the search. Requests should be addressed to:
The FoI Contact Officer
By mail: PO Box 102, Foster, Vic 3960
By Email: email@example.com
Once we get your request and payment, we’ll review the information and get back to you in writing if we need more detail.
We’ll then do a thorough search to identity the information you’ve asked for and respond in writing within 30 days. In some cases, this time may be extended with a decision to either:
- release all the documents
- release part of the documents
- release none of the documents.
If you’re not satisfied by a decision made by SGW under Section 49A of the Act, you have the right to seek a review by the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) within 28 days of receiving a decision letter.
Fees and Charges
A FoI application fee of $30.10 is payable (from 1 July 2021 – 30 June 2022).
In addition to the application fee, additional charges may be payable for photocopying, search time and other forms of access. You will be notified if these charges are likely to exceed $50 and asked if you wish to proceed.
You can ask for the application fee to be waived if payment of the fee would cause you financial hardship.
Freedom of Information Part II: Information Statement
We aim to make our information and documents easily accessible by members of the public. The statements listed below outline the functions of SGW and provide an overview of the types of information and documents we hold in relation to these areas.
If you cannot find the information you are searching for after reviewing these statements and conducting a search of our website, we encourage you to phone 1300 851 636 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask if the information or document you are seeking is available.
In many instances we will be able to provide you with the information without requiring a formal request for access.
Information Statement 1: Organisation and Functions
SGW is a regional water corporation providing high quality drinking water, sewerage, trade waste and recycled water services to customers across the South Gippsland Region. It is one of 19 state-owned water businesses operating under the guidance of the Water Act 1989.
Read more about SGW and our Region
Information Statement 2: Categories of Documents
SGW produces a large number of documents and records in our operations. We use a number of systems to capture and manage the broad range of electronic and hard copy documents. The types of documents that we produce include:
- Policies and procedures
- Briefings and reports
- Various correspondence
- Brochures, leaflets, information sheets and other advertising material
- Maps, plans and technical drawings
- Financial records
- Meeting records – agendas and minutes
- Photographs and audio-visual material
- Permits, notices and licences
These documents are organised under the following high-level categories according to our business classification scheme:
- Corporate Services
- Information, communication and technology
- Performance, risk and governance
- People Culture and Customer
- Communication and engagement
- Customer service
- Human resources and training
- Infrastructure and Planning
- Capital project management and delivery
- Asset planning
- Planning and development
- Works design and documentation
- Works construction services
- Environmental management
- Operational project management
- Water collection, treatment and distribution
- Wastewater collection treatment and distribution
- Office of the Managing Director
- Corporate oversight
- Strategic relationships
- Occupational health and safety
Information Statement 3: FOI Arrangements
Information on how to request documents under the FOI Act, how we process and respond to enquiries and any fees and charges that may apply can be found at the top of this page.
Information statement 4: Publications
SGW produces a number of publications which can be accessed and downloaded from this website, You can search our all of resources on this site which includes reports, Corporate Plans, Water Plans, Customer Charter, Statements of Obligations, policies and other tools.
If you need assistance finding a publication, please contact us on 1300 851 636
Information Statement 5: Rules Policies and Procedures
Our strategic, corporate and business plans are guiding documents to ensure a sustainable future. They define the direction and objectives of our business and people. They outline our commitment to our customers and stakeholders, and business and community partnerships.
A range of documents can be found on this website or call 1300 851 636 for more information
Statement of Obligations
We have a range of policies that provide guidance for the organisation and our staff in relation to compliance, risk management and accountability. A range of Policies can be found on this website or call 1300 851 636 to enquire of an area of interest
SGW range of documents includes:
· Protected Disclosures Policy
· Records Management Policy
· Asset Management Policy
· Information Management Policy
· Customer Complaints and Disputes Resolution Policy
· Customer Support Policy
· Customer Account and Debt Management Policy
· External Media Policy
· Corporation Vehicles Policy
· Freedom of Information Policy
· Drinking Water Quality Policy
· Occupational Health, Safety and Wellbeing Policy
· Environmental and Sustainability Policy
· Risk Management Policy
· Sponsorship and Community Partnerships Policy
· Fraud, Corruption and other Losses Policy
|· Finance Policy
· Respectful and Fair Workplace Policy
· Trade Waste Policy
· Catchment and Water Supply Protection Policy
· Conflict of Interest – SGW Employees & Board
· Maintenance Management Policy
· SGW Employment Principles Policy
· Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Policy
· Board Integrity and Code of Conduct Policy
· Dispute Resolution – Board Policy
· SGW Business Continuity and Resilience Policy
· Gifts, Benefits and Hospitality Policy
· Family Violence Policy
· Procurement and Purchasing Policy
· Treasury Management Policy