Privacy Complaint Form
Statement of Obligations
Under the Water Industry Act, the Minister for Water made and issued a Statement of Obligations to Victorian Water Corporations
Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act allows the public a right of access to documents held by the Corporation. South Gippsland Water is considered to be a “Government Agency” under the terms of the Act. Accordingly, it is required to comply with the procedures that have been prescribed and the Corporation’s Freedom of Information policy guidelines. Decisions to release information are made by an Authorised Officer.
For more information on Freedom of Information visit here.
Public Interest Disclosure Act 2012
We are committed to the aims and objectives of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2012 (the Act). We do not tolerate improper conduct by our employees, officers or members, nor the taking of reprisals against those who come forward to disclose such conduct.
We recognise the value of transparency and accountability in our administrative and management practices and support the making of disclosures that reveal improper or corrupt conduct.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect people who make such disclosures from any detrimental action in reprisal for making the disclosure.
We will also afford natural justice to the person who is the subject of the disclosure.
- What is improper or corrupt conduct?
Improper or corrupt conduct is defined as:
- corrupt conduct and/or
- any of the following conduct by a public officer or public body in their capacity as a public officer or public body:
- a criminal offence
- serious professional misconduct
- dishonest performance of public functions
- an intentional breach or reckless breach of public trust
- an intentional or reckless misuse of information or material acquired in the course of the performance of public functions
- a substantial mismanagement of public resources
- a substantial risk to the health and safety of one or more persons
- a substantial risk to the environment
- conduct by a third party that adversely affects the honest performance of a public officer or public body or is intended to adversely affect effective performance of a public officer or public body while obtaining an advantage for the third party, and/or
- conduct by a third party that could constitute a conspiracy or attempt to engage in any of the above.
Corrupt conduct is defined as:
conduct, or an attempt or conspiracy to engage in conduct that:
- Adversely affects the honest performance of the functions of a public officer or public body;
- Constitutes or involves the dishonest performance of the functions of the public officer or public body;
- Constitutes or involves knowingly or recklessly breaching public trust;
- Involves the misuse of information or material acquired in the course of the performance of a public officer or public body;
- Adversely affects the effective performance of the functions of a public officer or public body that results in a person obtaining a specified benefit
How do I make a disclosure?
In accordance with Section 13 of the Act, we are not able to receive Public Interest Disclosures. Any person who has reasonable grounds for believing that improper or corrupt conduct has occurred can make a disclosure in writing or by telephone directly to the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC).
Independent Broad-Based Anti-corruption Commission
Level 1, North Tower, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Telephone: 1300 735 135
General Manager Corporate Services
South Gippsland Water
PO Box 102, Foster 3960
Telephone: 03 5682 0444
Reporting Suspected Fraud or Dishonest Conduct by a South Gippsland Water Employee
South Gippsland Water strives to ensure financial management and stewardship of customer monies occurs with integrity and in accordance with the law at all times. If you identify, or suspect, any instances of an South Gippsland Water employee potentially engaging in fraud or any form of dishonest or improper conduct relating to use of South Gippsland Water property, equipment or money, or gaining improperly from customer or business relationships in connection with their employment at South Gippsland Water, we encourage you to report so immediately. You may report your concerns in any of the following ways:
- In writing, marked Private & Confidential, to “The Chair”, Board of Management South Gippsland Water, PO Box 102, Foster, VIC 3960 or to the “Managing Director Board of Management South Gippsland Water, PO Box 102, Foster, VIC 3960”
- Report the matter to police
- Report directly to the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission as above
Any matter may be reported anonymously but note this may impact on the ability to investigate fully. Any matter reported will be treated with the fullest level of confidentiality possible.
Energy & Water Ombudsman Victoria (EWOV)
If customers have made a complaint to South Gippsland Water and we cannot resolve this, customers can turn to the Energy & Water Ombudsman. Customers should seek to resolve their complaint or problem with South Gippsland Water initially.
The EWOV operates on an independent industry-based Ombudsman model. The process is informal, rather than legalistic, and based on the process of alternative dispute resolution.
Often described as external dispute resolution, because they are independent, impartial and external to South Gippsland Water. The aim is to achieve fair and reasonable outcomes, having regard to good industry practice and the law.
While available to all customers, EWOV was essentially set up to assist residential and small business customers. There is no charge to customers for the ombudsman services.
EWOV Phone: 1800 500 509 (Freecall)
Other Policies & Plans
Dam pre-release and surcharge policy
The purpose of this policy is to define South Gippsland Water’s operational practices in relation to pre-release and surcharge of our dams during significant rainfall events.
- Environment Protection Authority (EPA)
- Department of Health (DH)
- Essential Services Commission (ESC)
- Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DELWP)
- West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority (WGCMA)
- Melbourne Water
- Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)